Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Handcrafted Wedding Feature

Lynn, of Handcrafted Wedding, featured my red poppy notecards on Monday for her Memorial Day post. She writes:

"Today is the day the United States sets aside to honor the memory of people who have died in service to our country. This weekend I heard a beautiful poem that was written by Moina Michael in 1918 who is the school teacher that started the tradition of wearing a red poppy in honor of fallen heroes. It is called "We Shall Keep the Faith" . The last verse is what started the tradition.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields*."

I never knew that people handed out red poppies in honor of fallen heroes, but it now gives poppies a bit of a new meaning for me!

You can read the whole post here.

1 comment:

/// said...

AWWW, HOW WONDERFUL! :)

And I love Helvetica, too. ;)